Application to Establish a CI/CC
- Read carefully the Constitution and By-Laws of the Confucius Institutes, Regulations for Administering Chinese Funds for the Confucius Institutes, Agreement on Joint Establishment of a Confucius Institute (draft) and other relevant documents; understand the nature, mission and business service of the Confucius
- Requirements for the permission to establish a Confucius Institute are as follows:
2.1. That there is a demand for learning the Chinese language and culture at the applicant’s location;
2.2. That the personnel, space, facilities, and equipment required for language and culture instruction are available;
2.3. That financial supply for the establishment of the Confucius Institute is in place, and that the source of funds is stable.
3．Preparation of application materials:
3.1An application letter signed by the principal or president of the applying institution;
3.2An application proposal, including:
- An introduction of the applicant site;
- A floor plan for the required instructional space, and lists of the relevant equipment and facilities available for the proposed Confucius Institute;
- Projection of market demand, managerial structure, and operational plans for the proposed Confucius Institute;
- A statement with details of the source, regulation, and management of the funds for the proposed Confucius Institute;
- Other materials required by the Confucius Institute Headquarters.
Chinese versions should by attached to all the application materials.
Note: The applicant is entitled to finding a Chinese partner institute and a notation should be attached to the application proposal.
- Submit the application materials to the Confucius Institute Headquarters or to the Education Office (Section) or Culture Office (Section) of the local Chinese Embassy.
Note: The applicant can commission the Headquarters to recommend a Chinese partner institute if it is unable to find one.
- The Confucius Institute Headquarters will assess the application materials submitted by the applicant. The assessment may include verification of the document materials, debriefings and interviews, and on-site verification.
6.The Confucius Institute Headquarters should issue a “Letter on the Approval of Setting up a Confucius Institute” and the two sides shall sign an Agreement on the Joint Establishment of the Confucius Institute.
7.The applicant and its Chinese partner institute should sign an Implementation Agreement.
Application Process for Confucius Classroom
- Chinese partner schools should meet the following basic requirements:
1.1. A wealth of experience in international exchange and suitable conditions for receiving foreign visitors;
1.2. Capacity for sending a number of qualified Chinese teachers or volunteers;
1.3. Location should be in municipality-level or prefecture-level cities or above.
- Refer to the Constitution and By-Laws of the Confucius Institutes, and understand the nature, mission statement and scope of business service of the Confucius Classroom.
- The requisites for a foreign partner institution to establish a Confucius Classroom are as follows:
3.1. Should be an educational institution recognized and accredited by its country’s government;
3.2. That there is a demand for learning the Chinese language and culture at the applicant’s location;
3.3. That financial supply for the establishment of the Confucius Classroom is in place, and that the source of funds is stable..
- Application materials prepared by the foreign applicant shall include:
4.1. An application letter signed by the principal or president (both Chinese and English copies required);
4.2. An application proposal (both in Chinese and English), including:
- An introduction to the applying institution;
- Draft programs for Chinese teaching and cultural promotion;
- A floor plan for the required instructional space, and lists of the relevant equipment and facilities available for the proposed Confucius Classroom;
- ‘Projection of management structure; and
- A statement with details of the source, regulation, and management of funding for the proposed Confucius Classroom.
- Subsequent to approval from the education authority at the corresponding level, the Chinese partner school should submit an application to the provincial or municipal education department (committee) for approval.
- The provincial or municipal education department (committee) will assess the qualification of the Chinese school, then collect the application materials of both Chinese and foreign partner institutions and submit them to the Confucius Institute Headquarters for approval.
- The Headquarters should assess the application materials and ask for permission of Chinese embassy in the institution’s respective country, and then sign the Agreement on the Joint Establishment of the Confucius Classroom with the foreign applicant
- The Chinese and foreign partner institutions should sign the Implementation Agreement on the Joint Establishment of the Confucius Classroom.
- The Chinese school should cooperate with its foreign partner in making operational plans, and program budget. In addition, it should dispatch Chinese teachers or volunteers to help the foreign party in the launching and operation of the Confucius Classroom.